February 10, 2005
Driving Traffic To Your Weblog
I responsed to a query on the AMA's B2B Marketing SIG on how to drive traffic to your blog and thought that I'd post here as well...maybe an idea or two that you can use, and a few good articles on blog promtion in the links...
There are a number of things that you can do to promote your weblog, which are not all that much different than promoting your website.
1. By default, your weblog should be pining technorati.com, blog.gs, and weblogs.com. If not, you may wish to engage the service at www.pingomatic.com to get your blog to ping other aggregator sites that can help you out.
2. Setup a technorati feed for keywords that are prevelant in you field or industry - get on those bloggers blogs via comments & trackbacks from your blogs. Blogging is all about the relationship and the community. You need to participate to get maximum results.
3. Use your keywords in your post titles, which ultimately show up in the URL - this will help with your search engine rankings & drive targeted traffic.
4. Have a look at IT Toolbox - you might try to work with them, get in touch with their bloggers, or guest blog for them for additional traffic.
5. Write stuff that people will actually read
6. Get off the blog to get people to your blog. When we were trying to generate interest in the AMA's HotTopic blog event, we did direct mail, email and, of course, blogged about it...but when you're driving traffic to a new blog, it pays to step off the blog to do it.
7. Check out this article on ways to generate newsletter signups - many of the same principles apply to blog traffic and RSS subscriptions http://www.danavan.net/29ways
8. Read Dave Pollard - http://blogs.salon.com/0002007/2004/03/23.html#a674
9 Read Blogger's own promo tactics written by Biz Stone - they are a goldmine of ideas. - http://www.blogger.com/knowledge/2004/09/promoting-your-blog.pyra
10. Link like crazy to other bloggers and other sites in your sphere of interest and influence. Bloggers watch their trackbacks and their inbound links - some of my best connections with people have come because my blog showed up in their referrer links over and over.
Nice list, Dana, particularly this one:
Great tips. i do hope they work for me
Post a comment